-
August 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Hi
I am new to forum, and interested if anyone has 604 Altec's in horn enclosures? Hopefully someone can advise.
Would the 604B lend itself well to a back loaded horn enclosure? Or the latter 604 models?
Have others found other altec's end themselves better to horn enclosures?
I intend running the drivers (yet to buy, but looking....) with SET amps
many thanks in advance
John
-
August 12th, 2007, 12:59 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Would the 604B lend itself well to a back loaded horn enclosure?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It did lend itself well in a front loaded horn.The model was the Altec A-6 produced in 1945.
This topic has been discused before on this forum.
It would probably work as well in a rear loaded horn such as the 1970's JBL rear loaded horn
cabinets.
Wou will need a model to calculate such cabinet.
...............................
-
August 12th, 2007, 10:58 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
I ran 604's in Jensen Imperials some years ago.
Back loaded horns have serious phase issues, because of the long horn path the rear wave is way out of phase.
they can be effective. I annoyed my neighbors a lot with them, they would rattle the entire wood frame building. But you have to compromise, you'll have a lot of bass but it won't be flat.
-
August 13th, 2007, 11:39 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Thanks for your suggestions
I have an Olson modified BLH currently, but running mismatched tannoy drivers, monitor gold and HPD. Being In Australia, gaining access to classic drivers is hard. I have looked at local means, and along my journey in horn territory (and I am a complete novice)have done reading on the Altecs and impressed with the reviews. I am keen to experience them and evolve.
I thank you for your help in this
John
-
August 13th, 2007, 10:21 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
thought i saw a pair of 604's in the lists from oz? keep checkin feepay, there is a seller or two there that handles vintage altec stuff
-
August 14th, 2007, 12:12 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Originally posted by Old Guy:
I ran 604's in Jensen Imperials some years ago.
Back loaded horns have serious phase issues, because of the long horn path the rear wave is way out of phase.
they can be effective. I annoyed my neighbors a lot with them, they would rattle the entire wood frame building. But you have to compromise, you'll have a lot of bass but it won't be flat.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I run upsized versions of JBL,s scoops, using JBL 2240,s. Yes, there are phase issues, BUt, that is really only a concern if you have the cabinet on its side, if standing upright, so the wavelengths from the front and rear arent eminating in the same hoorizontalo plane, phase is OK, or so Im told.
Anyway, no, rear horn loaded bass isnt flat, but IT IS PUNCHY, and Grumbly. We love them, I have them corner loaded, OH the heresy of corner loaded bass bump!
Thye right rear horn loaded design, and the right woofer seems to make for good, entertainment sub bass, even though it isnt ruly a subwoofer, but people love that kick these cabinets make!
I have heard some speakers considered to be as ruler flat as you can get, and didnt really like them!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks